Thursday 14 April 2011

What an awful shock.......then surprise !!

What a shock ...in the chicken house !! Phew...thankfully....she's ok !..... Zienna has her breakfast.....in bed !....and Tremona this morning.... The girls....this morning..... After their breakfast......funny how the two older girls are peeping round the corner..!! Yesterday....I got such a surprise...and a shock ! It was not alpaca related....but what an awful shock...then it quickly turned into an amusing situation !! I went down to let the chickens...out...and I had noticed that they have been laying somewhere else..over the past couple of days...! I had had a good look round and failed to find the new spot...so anyway, back to the morning...I went into the chicken house, put the light on...and had an awful thought as I saw something in the plastic bag...of sawdust that I had in the chicken house..! Oh...no ! I thought, there was a hen in there......had she suffocated ...what an awful surprise..! I carefully opened the bag and to my relief...she was alive....thankfully...I peeled the bag back...and she was sitting there as happy as you like ! then I thought...she was sitting on some eggs...and had gone broody ! My next dilemma...what do I do...and exactly how long had she been there ! I'm sure she hadn't been there long...I hummed and harred about what to do...I lifted her up and counted the eggs....9 ! I lifted her off...then went to get a container to put the eggs in...and when I returned..she had sat back on the eggs....I then decided to let them out...and leave her....sitting ! So I went round to open the outside door... When I returned.....she had gone...and there were 10 eggs...there...so decision made ! I think she had got in there to lay...and I decided to take the eggs away...I checked one and they had only been there a day or two ! so that was ok ! I must admit....I got an awful shock...then I was happily pleased...and had a laugh about it ! So I have found the new....laying spot...and it has been removed.... Hens...are mad ! and I think it helps if you are a bit....strange yourself !.. Anyway, back to alpacas.....and breakfast with the girls....this morning !

6 comments:

Rosemary said...

Phew! Wondered what had been happening up there!
Lots of omelettes this week then - or maybe you'll be baking one of those lovely cakes again?!!

Apple Vale Alpacas said...

what a crafty hen!

WillowBank Alpacas said...

Glad to read your hen was ok.

We also had a time when the hens were laying in secret places, it's amazing what satifaction you get when you finally out-wit the hen and find her secret stash....little things that make you smile.

Bev said...

That photo of the plastic bag made me shudder, it must have taken all your nerve to look in it. Glad it turned out well, and solved your mystery.

Terry said...

Miss Hen certainly found herself a nice fluffy nest! Glad she didn't do herself in, the silly thing.

Shirley said...

We've got a 'hunt the hen' too. She manages to fly over an 8' high fence then looks around for a place to lay. We once discovered 18 eggs in one place - but didn't fancy trying any of them! Love the 'breakfast' photo by the way! Shirley & Robbie