Sunday 26 June 2011

Zanzibah Zirrianna !

Zirrianna ........just minutes old !


Zakhura with her little baby !.....enjoying a well earned rest .....


It started to rain....so they all came in....



My lovely new arrival is doing very well this morning....she has been checked several times...and it appears that things are fine with Zakhura and Zirrianna......yes she has been named...


Most of you are aware by now.....that my alpacas are named with a 'Z' to go along with a bit of a tradition I have started......I think that most of us, who own these animals....have one or two...odd habits !! ......I have a list(of 'z' names)


Anyway that is mine....no doubt I can hear some saying...amongst others !


Yesterday.....in the morning it rained...so she was brought in......then after trying several coast on...too small....too big.....I found one to fit.....in the afternoon the sun came out...and I decided to turn the alpacas out......for what I thought would be a lovely afternoon...for the new baby !


I was wrong......checking regularly...as you do....I found her sitting in the field with her mother....being...eaten alive...by some very nasty flies.......she was swiftly brought back in again....and that is where they spent the day.....in the big barn......in out of the rain and those horrible swarms of flies.....she was bitten all over her little ears and face......she was cleaned down and some fly spray squirted over them !


Zakhura is a brilliant mother....very relaxed...infact she lets me deal with the baby with no real concern......I think this has alot to do with nature and the fact that most of my girls I have bred are quite well handled......sadly I can't say that for some others...who lurk in the herd.....you know who !


Its a much cooler day today...so there should be no fly problem..however....I shall be putting a little waterproof coat on Zirrianna.....I'm afraid.....you might have a bit of a wait to be able to see her true colour.......she looks like a cross between a cappuccino chocolate colour with a touch of burnt orange thrown in.....!! Quite unique.....


Zanubis her father when he was born...was a dusty pink colour.....I couldn't believe it when he was born.......he has a very distinctive.....cappuccino tinge round his legs, face and belly....it looks like she is this colour completely !


As the afternoon went on and she dried......she definitely looks......burnt orange ! ...that will be a new one for the colour registry ! ;0) Zirrianna looks to have a lovely calm persona about her already....its funny how there personalities....are so different......right from the word go..... she has been wieghed yesterday and was 7kg.

I'm just hoping that when Tremona has her baby....its just a little more chilled out than she is ! She is so flighty....and spends most of the time......frightening herself !!


Early morning check of the alpacas.....and no new arrivals..as I type....but you never can tell.....if they come like Zirrianna....that will be a surprise.......even when I was keeping an eye out !

5 comments:

Shirley said...

Lovely photos Jayne. Hope the rain has stopped now. Agree about the flies - a real menace! Take care. Shirley & Robbie

Debbie, Barnacre Alpacas said...

Isn't she a little sweetie, the flies are bad here too - not nice.

Knapper Alpakka said...

Cute little thing, and a proud mom :-) Congrats to you all

Rosemary said...

She looks a lovely colour - hope the weather is clearing up a bit for her.

Terry said...

Burnt orange! That's wild! She looks so sweet.