Thursday 30 June 2011

Zanzibah Zoretah !!....

Zanzibah Zoretah.....is here.....she needed a little bit of help....into this big wide world !


Anna.....with the new arrival.....first time, she has seen an alpaca being born....


Trienza...with her new baby.......minutes old....


Me....and Mum with her lovely new baby....!!



We have a new arrival here .......and it has been slightly traumatic !


As expected I was keeping a particular eye on Aymara and Trienza......who I thought might be next to have their babies...


Sure enough....I let the girls out this morning...thinking....Im sure one of those two will have their baby today.....however at 8am....nothing un-toward....


By 9.30am I noticed that Trienza was humming alot and walking around being slightly restless.......so I decided to keep a close eye on her......at 10am....she was showing more signs of her early stages of labour .....and I knew that today was going to be the day...I decided to watch her from the barn....just incase she needed help....as this was her first baby...


I left her for half an hour and I could see that the feet and the nose were present.....that was good...at lest the presentation was right....I waited...to let nature take its course....


However, at 10.45am....she was struggling....and not getting any further.....so I decided to intervene......I had rang my friend Anna and thankfully she came over to see the new arrival..just as I was about to assist....


On closer inspection....she couldn't deliver the legs and head....so I had to push the legs back slightly......in order to allow room for the head to be delivered.....once I had done this...with a little more assistance....we managed to deliver ...the head and legs......phew it was traumatic at one point.....and it was definitely the right thing to do....to help her....you always have that doubt....whether to help or not.....and I'm glad I did....as left too long.....the mother and baby just get weaker.....


I managed to deliver....her and she is quite a size, she is much more weaker on her legs than Zirrianna...who was standing....ready to greet me....when I found her....


I have named her Zoretah......both were brought in as the weather changed to showers....to keep a close eye on them......I was getting worried about her feeding, as Trienza appeared not to have much milk....and the baby was struggling to stand...to feed....


By 2pm.....things were still the same...so I decided to get my colostrum....and my goats milk...to tube feed her.....I found her...lying down in the barn....so I went to warm up the feed.....when I came back...with my colostrum and tube feed bottle......as I walked into the barn.....I looked....and she was up and feeding......which was great....


I had a good check....to make sure she was getting milk and all four teats had been tried......by this time now the placenta had been passed....and this should mean that Trienza will start to produce more milk......


So ......we have another.....new arrival......a very shaky......beautiful.....brown baby girl !!


I'm hoping to weigh her tonight...when I bring them in.....later....


One thing for sure......I'm glad she is here safe and sound....although its very early days.....


8 comments:

Patou Alpacas said...

Woohoo!!! Congratulations, a lovely girl and she's brown!
Well done Jayne (and Trienza of course!)

Rosemary said...

Congratulations - well done! What a gorgeous brown colour!

Shirley said...

Looks like hard work Jayne, so well done all! Shirley & Robbie

Debbie, Barnacre Alpacas said...

Couldn't wait to get home to see the photo's, she's lovely. She looks a big girl, have you weighed her yet?

Sid and Pat said...

Well done with the midwifery skills - and the foresight to have a photographer to hand.

Apple Vale Alpacas said...

Neatly done Jayne, pleased for you.

Unknown said...

Well done Jayne...congratulations, job well done all!

Terry said...

Heartfelt congratulations! You amaze me Jayne - you can do anything!