Monday 28 November 2011

Zorba Update ....



This morning when I went to let the boys out.....unfortunately things hand not improved as much as I might have liked with Zorba....

So there was nothing else for it to have a second opinion and I rang the vet, ......Zorba was still really swollen and although he looked happy enough and bright eyed.....as most of us know...these alpacas are very good at hiding their problems. I was pleased that I had given him an injection overnight to help him fight any infection issues.

Thankfully, I have recently changed vets and the vet who came to check Zorba over is actually very interested in alpacas and has worked with them in the past, which was good.

After careful checking, she could not find anything other than the obvious, he was given extra anti-inflammatory injections(Metacam) and more antibiotics(Noroclav).....I have to follow this up with 5 more injections over the next 5 days.

We are hoping for a big improvement, there appeared to be no real indications as to why this has happened, so its a bit of a mystery at the moment......

He has been out with the others today, I am watching him like a hawk. I have to report back to the vets in a few days.....tonight I do think that there is maybe little less inflammation, lets hope the injections are working and I'm hoping for more improvement overnight.

Its a real mystery, but at least I know that he has been given treatment to make him more comfortable, I'm just hoping that he continues to improve.....

Its always worrying when things like this happen....and there is no 'rime no reason' to it !!

Wish me luck with the rest of the injections........I will have to manage.....somehow !!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wishing you luck Jayne...and Zorba back to full health very soon.

Apple Vale Alpacas said...

Yes, good luck Jayne and Zorba.

Terry said...

Best of luck, Jayne. I'm glad your new vet takes an interest in alpacas. My Paj had a sheath problem this summer my vet thought was caused by flies, even though we clean the boys frequently. I've never had it happen before.

Debbie, Barnacre Alpacas said...

I hope the metacam and Noroclav are working their magic.

It's a good job Zorba is a complient boy and lets you work on him on your own.

Keep us posted.