Tuesday 11 January 2011

Skating on Ice .......

The girls out in the field today......
Part of the track ..where the girls have to cross to get from the building to the gate.....

Today it has been really cold and very very icy !!

The track to the farm is frozen solid.......the water usually runs down the tracks and with the weather being so cold and the vehicles compacting the snow it has frozen solid.

This is making life very dangerous....especially for the alpaca girls who have to walk a little way over it every morning and night. This morning it was a complete skating rink....and I was not at all happy with the turn-out......skating on ice....I have a couple of girls who usually run out....this morning....there was a brief spurt of speed followed by a bit of a scary moment...legs skating in all different directions......thankfully one or two realised that there was no grip and slowed down and gingerly walked across the track.....Pachosha and Dusty had the most problem....and nearly fell ..........thankfully they managed to right them-selves and stayed on all four legs......

After this ....I was trying to think what I could put over the ice...to try and get some grip for coming in to bed this evening....the only thing I could think of was the ashes from the fire.....so this I did....and it made such a difference....

Even for me.....this evening the girls....came in slowly and without any skating problems....I really don't want any accidents........

I've had a few slippery scary moment....myself......bring on the thaw........

So we have been doing a bit of skating on Ice.......today !!

3 comments:

Terry said...

Yikes! Be careful on that ice! I had a nasty fall two years ago and broke my arm. I use Yaktrax now - don't know if you have them in Scotland - they just stretch over your shoes and give you traction.

Unknown said...

Sounds like sound recycling Jayne...good reason to keep youself nice and toastie...then use the ashes for health and safety reasons by the look of things...Take care.

Patou Alpacas said...

You be careful up there Jayne, they need you!