Thursday 11 February 2010

The Lone Squawker !!....

Having an alpaca moment...to her self ....Minstrel !
Double trouble......Zullulah and Trienza...a nosey two-some !!

Today I decided to put the younger boys into the 10 acre field...as their little weaning paddock was showing signs of wear and tear...not much grass and lots of mud !


I had just put the boys into the field and was shutting the gate....when in the distance I could hear squawking....it took me a little while to locate the noise up above me in the sky...as it drew nearer...I could see a small group of about 7 Hooper Swans......flying about 80ft above me....I was amazed...I watched them fly past and wished them well...as they disappeared into the distance the noise returned.....I looked again and there was a large group of swans also following behind the first group....as they were flying so low...I had time to count them.....there were actually 39....WOW...this is the largest group of swans I have ever seen.


As they also disappeared into the distance...I was thinking to myself...what a shame...there was only 39....and not 40...!!!!


A couple of minutes later I was watching the boys and Norris just to make sure they were settled in their new field.....with Haggis and Dougal who were lying down at the time taking no notice of the alpacas exploring their new field.


And guess what.........Yes, you've guessed it....there was more squawking.....I looked up and Ahhh....bless it...there was a lone Hooper Swan.....squawking to itself.....flying behind the others.....

I wished it well and told it that it did not matter it was flying solo....as long as it got to its destination....safe and sound.....


Some times in life....we are very much alone....following our desired path ....but whilst the road, might sometimes be lonely......far better it that way. Than to be going down a path that you don't want to !....

So little solo Hooper Swan.....''Fly swift, Fly safe'......it doesn't matter if your late, just as long as you get there !!


2 comments:

Patou Alpacas said...

I think that picture of Minstrel is fab!

Unknown said...

How lovely....we used to have a lone swan come to stay on our pond He came for 3 years in a row. Then one year two swans arrived. He had obviously found a mate. That was the last we saw of them...they obviously needed larger accommodation after that!