Wednesday 4 August 2010

Starlings !!....and Pacosha !!

Pacosha, with her poultice !
The baby Starlings !
Im hoping this does the trick ....to soften the abscess ....

The Starlings...that decided to rest on the electric wires !!....just look at the clouds !!....where's summer gone !!

On Sunday morning, I happened to look out of the window....and I couldn't help notice...huge amounts of birds..sitting on the electric wires....! So I got my camera out and took a couple of photos...if there was one..there must have been a hundred !! It turned out that they were baby Starlings! I've never seen so many in one go.

Today, I decided to take some action against Pacosha's abscess !! I have been watching it for a couple of weeks now. It has got bigger but doesn't seem to be wanting to burst....so I decided it was time to put a poultice on it, to try and soften it and draw the infection. It is better if they burst naturally as, the infection then is pushed out, if you burst it yourself ...you can sometimes push the infection deeper !!...I was hoping it would have burst by now..but obviously not !!

Pacosha is not the easiest of girls to deal with....she goes mental at the sight of a halter, and she has a hell of a kick....I know this...as she caught me fare and square one day....which made me feel really quite sick ! Huge bruise and lump later...I thought....I'd not forget that in a hurry !!

So..the plan was to catch her, without getting kicked....clip the under side of her chin...and poultice it with some....Magnesium Sulphate Paste, this will help draw and soften the abscess. Its good stuff, and you can get it from the Chemist !

I have bathed it to clean the area...and unfortunately as I'm on my own...I had to keep letting her go, as I couldn't tie her up. She was really quite good, mind you a did feel the wind...of a good kick..that thankfully missed me ...phew !! She has a kick like a horse !!

I have managed to do what I needed....so she is now....wearing a very fetching under the chin number. This will be left for at least 4 days..as its...well on, and it needs time to work...I'm hoping that this will do the trick...to burst the abscess....I can then...start the antibiotics....but I really need to get the infection out....first.

I shall keep you posted as to how we get on....I've got some good tape on it and I'm hoping that it stays put !....until I want to remove it.

Meanwhile Pacosha..is eating and really quite happy in herself....so I don't think it is bothering her too much !

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck with Pacosha's abscess...we seem to be having success with using florfenicil (Nuflor)...what you achieve single handedly is amazing...a credit to womenkind!

Rosemary said...

You are an inspiration, Jayne! Don't know how you do it all! Good luck with Pacosha.

Apple Vale Alpacas said...

Fingers crossed for you and her. Dave

Debbie, Barnacre Alpacas said...

Nuflor worked for us too, on niether occassion did the things burst first.

Good luck, it's great how we wmoen manage these jobs isn't it!

Shirley said...

Hiya Jayne, Great photo of all the starlings, can we tempt you with a similar number of noisy sparrows from our place? Hope Pacosha's poultice works - Robbie says it reminds him of the bread poultices his mother used to put on his neck boils years ago!! Keep up the good work - take care. Shirley & Robbie

Terry said...

Yikes! That must have been quite the job by yourself. I hope she's better soon.

Lucy said...

Hope Pacosha is bursting soon! The poultice sounds good. Surely it will bring the pus out! We had a couple last year and they did burst out - one from an injection site and two on legs (post mites when they were a bit scabby). OMG the amount of cheese that comes out! We managed to avoid antibios too.