Sunday 15 August 2010

What a week ! ... change of plan !!

The girls.....we are still waiting for a longer dry spell ... maybe next week ! I've said that before !


We are still....treating Pacosha's abscess ...
A work in progress...a few things to finish off !


What a week....indeed !

Not just for me every body ...there has been some really testing times...by the sound of things. Just reading other blogs....the difficult birth at Wellground and the rejection issues at Patouland ! These alpacas really do test our emotions !

I had a surprise visit last Thursday, I was sitting having a cup of tea and the doorbell rang ! I thought to myself....who could that be ! I never get any visitors !...and if you knew where I live....I don;t get many people passing by either !! So I went to the door ! What a surprise...it was my Mam and Dad.....!! They had decided to surprise me..with a visit ! what a lovely thought...and all that way !!

My Dad had an agenda....mind you...there are always jobs...to do ! and this time was no exception to the rule ! I'm sure most people will already know...that I am waiting to hay-make......I am still waiting..so it wasn't that !

It was a big job..indeed.. !! To cut a very long story short....A couple of years ago, a certain person thought it would be a good idea to have a huge Multi-Stove fitted....instead of using the oil central heating as much ! However...this certain person is no longer here to work after the said stove...and I just could not do all the heavy work required to fuel this stove ! The lifting of logs...the chopping of wood the carrying of lots of baskets of wood. Now that all the logs have been chopped I would have to buy wood in and pay for the pleasure of doing all that extra work ! So I decided it had to go ! This stove has cost thousands of pounds...but my health and the work.....was just too much for one person...to do ! along with all the other farming chores...etc ! So last week we have removed the Stove. It was sold, it was taken out on Friday...and we have been busy putting a new LPG Gas Stove in its place...!! I can just come in and light the fire...no mess....and it will make my life easier...which is the plan. I have been busy tiling the hearth...and most of the week has been taken up with that job !

The Hunter LPG Stove is up and running and its great !! Apart from that..last winter, I had a power cut for days...I had no heating as the other stove was fitted to the pump ! and you can't use it with no electric ! So that was another reason for going for this type of heating, at least if that happens..you have one warm cosy room !!

We had a few alterations...to do...but nothing that the angle grinder and a bit of muscle...couldn't sort out...and yes..we did have at one point...what I thought might be a nice..indoor water feature !!!.... Thankfully...it wasn't a permanent thing ! .... ;-0) There is still a bit of finishing off to do....but the main jobs are done. My parents have left today.....back home for a rest....like Arnie....'They'll be back..when the hay is made, to give me a hand...to put it in the buildings...for the winter......if I ever gat any made !!

I am still treating Pacosha..and her abscess...we have been poulticing it for days now...and it is beginning to soften......although it is taking some bursting !! But she is also on some homeopathy tablets..as of Friday...to help speed it along to burst ! I think that it should be well on its way by the middle of the week !

A brief mention....I'm watching the weather forecast....after Tuesday...we might be going to 'risk' the haymaking...at this rate.....the snow will be here if we don't get a move on !!

Just as well my fields..are late !!

9 comments:

Debbie, Barnacre Alpacas said...

We still have no hay either! I can imagine your face when your mam and dad were stood on the doorstep - where would we be without them.

Unknown said...

Quite agree you have enought to do without chopping logs as well!

We are going for it too. The hay field is to be cut tomorrow!

Unknown said...

Alpacas and new fire look wonderful, hope you get the weather you want.
xxx

Patou Alpacas said...

Hope the weather stays fair for you Jayne. I've just ordered in a load of hay down here in the supersoft south, costing an absolute fortune!

WillowBank Alpacas said...

Hi Jayne,
Seeing your picture of your log stove has made us realise who much we miss ours, we don't have that comfort in our caravan.....so I might blow the picture up and put it on the wall in the lounge...replacing our electric log effect heater we currently use.

Shirley said...

Another busy week then Jayne! Well done on getting your stove removed and the new one inserted. Not an easy job, although you make sound almost like fun! Great weekend of weather here, hope it continues for your hay. Take care. Shirley & Robbie

Rosemary said...

Great log burner!
Hope you are haymaking soon!

Terry said...

Congratulations on your new stove. We work hard taking care of our animals, so anything that makes life easier is a blessing.

Lucy said...

Stove looks fab! I love them - we had a great one in our last house. Hope you got the hay done. Nailbiting stuff!